Monday, October 25, 2010

The Fighter Still Remains

As I shared with the team last night, we chose to be involved with a great game, but it has the ability on occasion to "Saw you in half ". It did that to us on Saturday. As I mentioned in my post game I regretted my end of game decision making and at minimum should have taken a timeout when we faced 3rd and 11 at the 22. Although we had one of our best players running his best route it was into double coverage and a tight shot for the QB. Those games are difficult when a pretty big group in the locker could improve one play and turn it into a BC win. Although the kicker takes the most heat, it seldom is just about the kick. I thought our offensive plan of grinding the ball trying to limit their offense chances worked for the most part. It was a game where I felt the last possession would win it. Our defensive group, despite playing very hard, did not quite have the discipline in assignment football that a fast paced option offense demands. Give credit to W & L they are operating at a level where a defense gets no margin for error in assignment or pursuit angles. The turnovers we asked the defense for were there, but we were only able to turn one of them into points. I guess if you were in the stands watching and not caring who won, you saw a great game

It is going to take some real character on our team now to recover and face an always tough Emory and Henry team. It is Senior Day and for that group which has invested so much into this operation, we owe them and they owe each other a chance to meet on their final Jopson Field appearance at the Bell post game.

I even quoted Simon and Garfunkel to them today from the “Boxer” who “Carried a reminder of every glove that laid him down or cut him till he cried out in his anger and his pain I am leaving I am leaving……...But the fighter still remained.” We need the fighter still to remain in all of us here at BC football. We're going to ask the kids to prepare and compete every day. We need to do the things winners do regardless of the outcome. There is still time for us to do our best work in 2010.

~MCLARK