Monday, January 10, 2011

The Real Value in Coaching

Photo by former teammate and artist, Vince Turner

In coaching last week, Jim Harbaugh from Stanford parlayed a great season with the Cardinal into a bidding war between 2 major colleges and NFL teams for his expertise. Rich Rodriguez was payed 2.5 million not to work and a former NFL coach turned Network analyist apparently turned down an "insulting" 4 million dollar offer to get back on the sideline. I got to speak at the funeral of a 30 year old All-American whose life was cut tragically short. From a coaching perspective, my week had the greater value.
I hold no resentment toward the coaches who operate at the 7 figure level. More power to them! If BC offers to compensate me at that level I'd take it and continue to work hard. However, in Glen Burnie MD on Friday I saw a value in the College football experience that cannot be bought.
In the service for Davon Cruz over 25 of his former teammates came back (2 from Florida) to support his family in a time of need. An artist teammate who could not make it drew a portrait that was shipped up and signed. Guys who worked for Marriott provided $25.00 rooms in properties they run. A former college President sat on the altar in that packed church out of respect for a student he had to pursue to ensure he finished the education his mother was promised. After a 2 1/2 hour Pentecostal service where the spirit held sway, a couple of coaches who shared both success and failure with this group 10 years ago took them to lunch where with wives, families and friends we connected as a team again. Davon much like he did as a player, brought the best out in his teammates and coaches.
When you stay somewhere 17 years in coaching there is a connection that extends beyond the field. My players know where to find me and I get a thrill seeing them move on so successfully with their lives. Walking into that church a young women shook my hand and said she was a former Eagle. I corrected her in that "You are always an Eagle!" I spent time Friday with a group of people that reminded me of that with their actions. Go BC

- Coach Clark