Monday, October 26, 2009

Post-100th Victory Update

Saturday was a great day to be a fan or an offensive coach in our 38-34 victory at Emory and Henry. As I know, people are well aware it marked the 100th win that we have shared in my time here at BC. I have tried to state all along that the wrong pronoun is used when describing this event. It is not “my” or “his” but rather “we” or “ours”. The real value in those games is that they are shared events that will have great value to a lot of individuals on a lot of levels. On a personal note I would like to thank all of the players, coaches, and support people who have helped along the way. It has been a great ride, and it was a good milestone to hit in the final year of Dr. Stone’s leadership as it was Dr. Stone had the vision that excellence in football was possible for Bridgewater College. Personally, my brother was at the game and he and my father attended our initial victory against Western Maryland in September of 1996. My Dad passed on in 1999, and Joe D would have kept travelling to Virginia from Cincinnati over the next month if necessary to share the event, but I am grateful that the 09’ squad made a second trip for him and his wife unnecessary. When I returned home from church on Sunday morning my two daughters were there from Northern Virginia to celebrate a late breakfast before I left for work. All of my family have been great fans and donors to BC football, and I guess maybe I have turned in a small way into my Dad who had a family rally around his seasons.

The win will cost my wife and I a $1,000.00 and I am proud to contribute to the “Sharing 100” Campaign. I cannot put a dollar value on the return this program and the people in it have given to me. Although the real value is not just in the winning, I hope those who enjoyed it, will give back to jump-start the next generation of football players to help get us back to the national level. We are going to put together a gathering around the last home game on November 14th versus Catholic University to pull former players and coaches back to campus to celebrate this event. Watch the web-site for details, and from the bottom of my heart thanks to the players, former coaches, support people, and fans who have shared and have equal claim to these wins. Go BC.

Coach Clark

P.S. – I grade every call that the officials make on Saturday’s and 75% of them were accurate. The call on Tyler Beiler going out of bounds was the correct call as well as the contact on the punt return at the end of the game. They might miss a few calls here and there, but they are human beings and a most of the crucial calls were correct.

(Click HERE to send questions or comments about the BC football program to Coach Clark.)