Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Post-Bye Week Update

After a weekend away from football it was good to get back on Monday with the 68 players in the Gold group who we asked to come back early from fall break. I have always found the open date at mid-year to be well timed. There gets to be a point where, both for the kids and coaches, a little distance is not a bad thing for a couple of days. I turned down invites to games, and got away from football if you don't count the Coed Flag football game I attended to see my daughters play in DC on Saturday. A 33-12 loss for the Clark/Velez clan, but it was good to watch a game where 10 minutes after people forgot the results.

I must say, I was scanning the internet to get game updates and we did not get the immediate help we needed, particularly with the Emory and Henry - Hampden-Sydney game. In talking with kids today, I told them I wouldn't do that to myself again on a Saturday. Our group needs to focus on what we can control, and on a week to week basis add quality wins and see where it takes us. We always influence Saturday with choices we make during the week.

On Tuesday we get an unfettered day of football preparation and we need to make great progress. Guilford will bring big challenges with their defense, and after trying a couple of post Josh Vogelbach offenses early in the season, they have settled into one that produced 48 points in their last win. With two weeks to prepare for us we will need to bring our 'A' game to win.

Unfortunately I was disappointed that some of the injury issues we are dealing with are still lingering despite the weekend off. Our training staff will have to do good work to get our group game ready by Saturday as rest was not the only answer.

-MC